Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday, Aug 12

It has been a good week. We had a few missionaries leave, but it was relatively quiet in the office. 
We went to a relief society activity in Wandsworth the other day. They were doing a service project making heart-shaped purses to give to little kids who are poor. I don't know what they will put in the purses, but they made a lot of them. I don't crochet and only learned in elementary school but it was fun to make a heart shaped purse last week. It actually turned out really cute.

We also stopped by Ikea this week so Sister Cates can look at the furniture to buy for the missionary flats. Wow, things are so cheap there and you can find really nice things. However, the store is set up as a maze and once you get in, you can't get out unless you go through the whole thing. It has everything that goes into a home from dishes, bathroom, sheets to furniture.  They told me the store would be big, but I had no idea how big. We were so tired by the time we found our way out.  We only ended up buying trash cans! and a stuffed heart to give to one of the sisters whose mother was diagnosed with cancer. That sister is doing much better. It is amazing how prayer and the power of the priesthood can work miracles and provide strength.

On Saturday we went out for breakfast because we found this place that seemed to have a really good breakfast menu. It was actually very good although I think American pancakes are much better than British pancakes =) We went to see a movie afterwards. Seems like we are re-living our childhood because we are always going to kids' movies. We went to see Ice Age 4 (in 3D). The only movies that are good enough to see these days seem to be kids' movies anyway.

I am going to give a fireside (talk) about faith next month and I have been thinking about faith a lot lately. I think of the old apostles and what they had to go through. I wonder if I was asked to go to a far land, learn a new language, and spend many years there without any means of support, would I do it? 

I have great people here that I work with. The people in the temple are remarkable as well. They have amazing faith and amazing conviction. It will take me years to get to that stage.  But, of one thing I am certain is that my faith is strong. I have faith in Jesus Christ and I know He lives and that He loves us.  I would not know that any better if Christ were to stand in front of me right now. I trust Him, and trust that whatever I face in this life will be for my best interest since my Savior is in charge of my life. I wish some of my family members would know that true happiness comes from trusting the Savior. Difficulties will come, but we have a loving Father in Heaven who would not allow anything to happen to us that is not aimed for our personal growth.

I can't believe I have been here over 6 months. Time flies by so fast. I am already thinking about what I will do when I go home, but it is too soon to think about that I guess. I should enjoy my time here and make the most of it. Especially these days when the weather is nice and we can actually walk outside and enjoy the pretty flowers and trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment