Saturday, October 12, 2013

Light and Darkness

I hope you are all doing well. My family has finished picking the olives and are taking them to the oil press today. I am grateful that my mom is still strong enough to pick the olives. I wish I was there to help her, but I am glad others were there to help to some extent. I have missed seeing olive trees here (they probably don't grow in this strange climate). It was so rainy yesterday and today it is nice and sunny (well at least the morning was!). The weather changes so fast! 
Winter is here, not that it ever left. I went and bought some more clothes because I was so sick of my winter clothes that I wear all year round! I bought some nice things and ordered some more online.
We had a couple come to our mission, Elder and Sister Fowler. They are very nice and we went shopping with them this morning. 
Our ward Choir (mostly missionaries here) are going to have a concert today at 6 pm. It should be really nice.

Two days ago, someone was working in the garden on Temple grounds and happened to break a main power supply. So, the electricity went out on the entire complex. We did not have power in the office and even no phones. So, we closed the office and went driving around. We got back home and did not know what to do in the dark. I sat on my computer (at least here my internet works without power) until my charge ran out. Then went to the accommodation center and charged it since they had a generator.  I was able to have a good chat with my companion (we had nothing better to do).  Later at night they brought a big generator and gave us power, but no heat and no hot water =(

Just a day before this happened I felt so grateful to be here because we had heat and hot water all the time. In Palestine we don't have hot water in the winter and I am always cold. I guess I needed a reminder on what it is like to take cold showers in a cold room...Anyway, it is now fixed and so things are back to normal. It was strange to not see the temple lit that night though...

I used to love it when the electricity would go out at home. It meant that my family members had nothing to do but chat with each other. We would gather around the gas heater and play cards or talk. 

Christ is the light of the world...a light that "shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not." (John 1: 5) The darkness around us should bring us closer to each other and closer to Him the source of all truth and light. 

I miss you all and pray for you often. I know my family does not understand why I am here. Sometimes even I don't understand, but I know that I am supposed to be here. I know that God has told me to come here. He knows all things and He sees the bigger picture. I am but learning slowly to trust Him more and more. My faith in my Savior is growing, slowly but surely. I am very grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your mom is doing well. She is a strong woman. Thank you for sharing your mission via this blog. The image of sitting close to your family and talking and playing cards sounds so nice. Being cold does not :o) Just think how warm it would be to always be sheltered in the light of Christ. I hope we can all do that...walk in the light of Christ.

    ReplyDelete