Saturday, March 22, 2014

The Journey Matters

We celebrated Mothers' day here in Palestine on Friday. Here Mothers' Day is on the 21st of March, the first day of Spring. Yesterday seemed like it was the first day of summer though because it was so hot.  

I hope all the mothers out there realize how important their job is. Motherhood is the most important thing you could be doing in your life right now. God has entrusted you with His spirit children. In a troubled world what you teach your children is SO important. 

My mother taught me so much about service and about giving. I must say that I am not a great daughter, but I am trying hard to be better. Amazingly enough when you look at my mom over 40 years ago and now, she looks almost the same...(and ya I was a chubby baby)


My sister Suhair invited us over to lunch yesterday for Mothers' Day. She made many yummy salads and then we had Zarb (chicken in a stone oven).  We took the food and ate at my nephew's new home.  They have a big back yard and the kids enjoyed running around outside, but they were all hot after a while and came inside.  I guess with new homes you don't have big enough trees, so not enough shade. Luckily our brick homes are nice and cool, so sitting inside was nice.

After lunch we had a bunch of desserts made by Vera who always makes excellent desserts. Below is a picture of my nephew's daughter Talya and my niece's daughter Yara enjoying eating dessert on their own.



Mom is on the far right along with some relatives:




I have taught primary (lessons for the kids at church) for 2 weeks only. Last week's lesson was on the plan of Salvation. This week our Sunday School teacher was sick and the Sunday School lesson happened to be on the Plan of Salvation and the role of Jesus Christ. I offered to teach the lesson and we combined primary and Sunday School. The only child in church today was Martina, so it worked out. I am amazed at how simple Heavenly Father's plan is, that little children can understand it. I explained it to the kids for 10 minutes last week, but did not know how much they understood. Today during Sunday school I was asking questions and little 4-year old Martina kept answering them. She knew God is the Father of our spirits, she knew we used to live with Heavenly Father before we came to earth, she knew that Jesus Christ created the world for us, and she knew what we have to do to return back to Heavenly Father. I am so grateful for the Gospel and for the knowledge I have and for the blessing of teaching that to others.

Last night I had an interesting dream.  You don't need to read it, but if you are bored and would like to listen, here goes...
Thanks for listening by the way...So, I dreamed that I parked my car somewhere and was trying to get to my car and was so lost. I was trying to go through checkpoints and roads and ask for directions.  All through the dream I kept asking people to tell me how to get to my car.  I was getting more and more frustrated as people kept doing other things or telling me things that were not relevant or showing me things.  I started to yell at them saying: "Now what does this have to do with my car?" At the end of the dream some guy was telling me about the situation here and explaining it to me while another guy was asking me questions about the gospel and about Jesus Christ. And I was getting frustrated because neither of them was telling me where my car was!  Then all of a sudden it dawned on me and I understood the whole meaning of the dream (while dreaming). I realized that I was too focused on where I wanted to be and what I wanted to accomplish that I had forgotten what's important. What is more important is the Journey itself! Who we meet along the path and how we treat them and how much we help them. How we get to where we are going is essential, and who we become is also.  I realized that I need to enjoy the journey more and treat others kinder and be a better person. I should not be focused on the end result. 
I have been too focused lately on my life. Where will I go, what will I end up doing? What is important is actually here and now. I am here in Palestine and how I live each day is more important than where I will be in the next year or so.
I hope we all will be kinder today...The only thing we can do about the past is repent and the only thing we can do about the future is hope...and the way to make that hope a reality is work at it today.
The journey is great! The path is green and full of flowers and not only because it is spring! 
I hope we all can learn to enjoy the journey and live a full and happy life helping others along the way.

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good dream & such a good message!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Sahar,

    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, beliefs, and the dream. It means a lot to me. I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete