Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Church

I was thinking about what to write today. I have had nothing exciting happen last week. I mostly feel so much gratitude for all that I have.
Sometimes we forget what we have been blessed with. Spring is really beautiful around here. I am so grateful for the flowers, grass and beauty all around us. Sadly, Spring here does not last long...So, we should enjoy it while it lasts. 

To my mind comes a time long ago during the long days of curfew when we were not allowed to leave our house. I remember once when my mother and I were cleaning around the house, we heard the Israeli soldiers announce that we get 2 hours of freedom; that we are allowed to go outside for 2 whole hours. My mother insisted that we finish cleaning and finish the chores before leaving. By the time we were done we had very little time left to go outside. But, those few minutes I spent walking down the streets were so precious. Today we seem to forget to 'enjoy' the freedom we have of even going outside and smelling the flowers. I keep saying I am going to go for a walk and before I know it the day is gone!

I had the opportunity to take some friends and show them around Bethlehem the other day. Their kids' favorite part of the whole tour was my house. I should probably contact some tour agencies and tell the to put "Sahar's House" on their next tour.  At my house, the kids got to ride the donkey (no I don't normally have a donkey, it just happened to be their lucky day), pick fresh lemons and green almonds, see all the animals we have (dog, cats, turtles, fish, spiders, lizards, gecko, snake, scorpions...etc and that is just the live ones) and enjoy some treats from mom. I never thought my house could be so much fun =) The kids were so sweet, they each wrote a thank you card for me and Jessie and gave us cookies.

Luckily the kids missed the massacre my dog caused. My stupid cat gave birth in the dog's house again! I mean how stupid can one cat be?? She did this twice before with the same result. She is lucky she still has one living kitten because my dog lassie killed all the rest. I went outside yesterday to see the sad bloody scene. The cat has been trying to hit lassie each time she sees her to get back at her, but alas the kittens are gone.  See, now that is why cats hate dogs.

This weekend is the general conference for my church. Today is the day which marks the day the church was organized.  The talks got me thinking about the condition of the world and I started feeling that the second coming should be really close.  There is so much turmoil and difficulties in the world. There are so many around us who choose to do things that are wrong. Many seem to have forgotten who God is. Those that do mention God kill others in His name (Muslims killing Christians and Christians killing Muslims).  

Gladly, there are still good people in the world. At times we may think the world has gone crazy, but there is goodness all around us if we but look.  And each of us has the responsibility to stand for what is right and try to make a difference.   

It is so important to choose the right in a world of changing values. It is so important to be strong and faithful these days. Here is a good quote from a talk by one of the 12 apostles, Elder Nelson:



Despite all the bad things around us in the world, life is still beautiful. My cousin made the comment on Friday saying: "No one is happy." That is not true. I am happy. Despite the occupation, unemployment, challenges, I consider myself happy. And I know there are millions of other people who would say the same thing. 

P.S. I am still without a job, for those of you who are wondering. I am not worried though; I'm strange I know. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, we all need to take time and reflect on all of the blessings we have received. Often times, we take for granted the things that become routine for us on a daily basis. We just expect that those things will always be there. However, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away as He see fit.

    ReplyDelete