Thursday, September 4, 2014

Leaving Palestine

I totally forgot to post something this week. Not like any of you check anymore, how many noticed?

Things have been well, but busy.  I have decided to move to the US to try and find a job. I leave pretty soon and am trying to pack and get tickets and tie up loose ends. I have been facing a few closed doors regarding jobs and then a possibility came up and I may end up moving to NYC! There is a possible job there, but it is not certain yet. If you would ask me about my least favorite place in the US, I would say it was NYC. I had a bad experience there once, years ago...but, things change and who knows I may enjoy living there. I am taking a test on Tuesday, Sept 16th and a lot depends on the results of that test. I need to pass the test to qualify for the job. In any case, if this works out I'll start working pretty soon and move there. 

Things have been boiling around the Middle East with ISIS becoming stronger and with other tension rising in the area. I really don't know what will happen in the future, but it does not look good. I love my country, but right now I want to seek opportunities somewhere else. 

Last week I started the 'bucket of ice' challenge. It was mostly a personal thing. I tried to either help someone every day or post something positive on Facebook instead. I was trying to start something that would add goodness and light to world instead of the evil and darkness which is spreading. Amazingly enough, as soon as I resolved to do that, I suddenly became so busy doing good things. I have been finding people out of the blue asking for help. It has been great, but exhausting. My body simply does not function very well anymore...

Last Saturday was the busiest day I have ever had (and it was the Sabbath!). I don't know why they call it a day of rest! It took the workers all day Friday to finish putting the tile up in the branch building. I had to go put water on the concrete early Saturday morning.  My friend from Nablus was visiting on Friday and I showed them around Bethlehem so I did not have time to go up to the church and clean after the workers were done. I had to do the cleaning on the Sabbath (could not have a church full of mud, and dirt when members came to worship). After cleaning, my friend wanted me to go check on her husband who was sick which I did. 
I took my friends from Nablus to see my brother's museum and then drove them to the taxi stop so they can go to Hebron. On the road I found a woman who was standing in the heat and looked like she was there a while. I asked her if she needed a ride. She said: "Why? do you know me?" I said, "No, but it looked like you could use a ride." I drove her to where she was going and on the road she started to tell me who she was and her story.  She said that a man killed himself in the Bethlehem area and that she was that man's mother. We don't have suicides here that often, so it was a rare chance that I picked up this particular woman.  She showed me pictures of her son and told me why she thinks he killed himself. She was devastated and sad...
Anyway, I had a talk and a lesson to prepare. Needless to say, I did not get to do much preparing, I ran out of time. I barely had time to shower and get to church. We have a problem with reverence in our branch and my talk was about reverence.  It was really difficult to watch the kids and parents do the opposite of what I was telling them to do (right then and there).  After sacrament, we had a combined Primary/Sunday School using my unprepared primary lesson...After church I took a friend's kids to a birthday party and helped with the preparation and serving during the party. I got home when a friend called me over skype and wanted to discuss a gospel principles lesson (I have been teaching lessons to a family over skype). Since it is hard to get a hold of them, I decided to go ahead and give the lesson. It was a good day despite the fact that I was completely dead by the end =)

I have been spending some time fixing up the Bethlehem Branch building. These are things that have been waiting for a while and I just never got to them. So, I had a fence made, had tile put on the outside, the inside painted...I also washed the curtains, and did some cleaning. I am having some soil brought in to make the outside look a bit better.  I should have taken a before and after picture! We'll have the members plant some flowers or plants outside once it is all done...I am tired! I have had to stay at the building for 8 hours on some days so I can be with the workers as they worked...but hopefully it will all be done today.

I finally gave up and took my laptop to be fixed. I was worried it would cost a lot of money to fix it, so I thought I would just sell it and buy a new one. Yesterday I went and picked it up and it is fixed. How much did they charge? $6!! really that was it...yay.

My mother has been complaining about me leaving and moving to the US. She, of course, wants me to stay here to keep her company. I feel bad leaving her, but she is really doing ok physically. I convinced her that I will find a husband in NY and will get married...was I convincing her or myself? Would really like to get married, but don't know if it will happen anytime soon. At least I will have more chances of finding an LDS man in NY than I would here.


13 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm not sure if my last comment posted/will post, so I'll try again.

    I found your blog a few weeks ago through a link that Ghaleb Husseini posted on Facebook. I'm so pleased that you're still posting! This is pretty interesting stuff to me. Thank you for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't see the other comment. Thanks. I am glad you find what I write interesting...

      Delete
  2. I hope the test goes well. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahar, I am excited to hear that you may be moving to New York City. I LOVE that city!!! The people there, I have found, are friendly. I have never experienced the cold and rude behavior that has been stereotyped for New Yorkers. Well, maybe it's because a smile usually meets a smile :-) All over the world. One of my daughters lives in New York and if you move there she can help get you oriented! Also, I have been to church in several different wards in the city and have felt very comfortable with the members there. So, I hope you get the job, and let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby. That is very encouraging...I really hope I will like it.

      Delete
  4. That's exciting!! Good luck on your test!!

    If you need any contacts in NYC, let me know - I have quite a few LDS friends that I can put you in contact with to help you get settled and situated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do! I don't know anyone there and would love to ask some questions about what it is like. Do you have my email?

      Delete
  5. I am pleased to see you blogging as these are troubled times for Palestine. I wissh you success in the test and life in New York which I don't think I would survive very long in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you... especially about the test! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally got to sit and read your blog. I'm glad you are going to the US. I'll pray for your success on the test. I've sent you a couple of emails and then discovered them sitting in my outbox as you already knew. Bad memory. Anyway I've tried everything so I'm calling Charter tomorrow to see if they can help me. Wherever you end up, I will come to see you. I love to travel in the US, just not in foreign countries I've decided. Love and miss you. If you would like to send a note for Adams book we are building for them, I'll get it put in with one of the pictures I have of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sahar! I don't know if you remember me. I'm Amy Sowards' sister and I got to know you when I stayed with her in Jerusalem. You have made a lasting impression on me. I have thought about you many times in the four years since I met you. I hope and pray for the best with your job hunt in the US. I wish I knew of a great job here in northern Utah for you! Thank you for your blog. I'm glad I ran into it. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete