Sunday, September 21, 2014

New York

I am sorry I have limited internet access while here in New York, so I have not been responding well to emails and did not post anything on my blog.

I took the test on Tuesday and I am still waiting for the results. I should know the result by the end of this week I hope. The test was simply strange, I don't know how else to describe it. Since it was a lot of situational judgment, I have no idea how I did. I know I did well on the numerical part except that my computer froze and so I missed the last three questions. Other than that I am sure I got all those right. In the other two sections I did not do so well. So, we will have to wait and see. I have an interview on Tuesday as well so we will see how that goes. As much as I hate New York I am beginning to think that I could actually live here. I hope I get this job.

While here I am staying with a family I know from church. They have been so kind to host me while here. They have 6 kids, so most of the time I am playing with kids, but it has been fun. Here is a picture of the kids right before they opened the presents I got them:


My friend who lives in Washington DC came to see me and it has been fun to see her and tour New York City with her. Here are some pictures I took in New York.

At the 9/11 memorial site (where the twin towers were before the planes hit them). They have really nice big fountains there...
 





We took a ferry to Staten Island (it was free) and we got to see the statue of liberty. Last time I was in New York, we did the express tour and only saw the Statue of Liberty from a really far place.
 





We also drove to Coney Island. We were told they have really good hotdogs there (Nathan's). Sadly, all the rides were closed. But, we got to walk on the beach and eat really greasy really bad for us hotdogs from Nathan's (who in the world is Nathan anyway?). The Island itself seems creepy. It seemed a bit deserted and had lots of statues and pictures of this spooky clown. They really could film a horror film there!




Someone I know in NY arranged for me to give a talk while here. It ended up spreading and became a stake wide thing. So, Thursday at 7 pm I am giving a fireside at the Lincoln center (at the temple site). It has been short notice for everyone, so we will see how many show up.

Church was really amazing here today. I got to go to primary with my friend and she taught the children a really fun song. The kids that they think are not reverent here are probably considered angels in Bethlehem. Despite that I still miss my primary kids in Bethlehem.

After church we went to my friend's parents' house for dinner. His mom prepared an amazing Japanese dish for us. She was so kind to prepare lots of English deserts and treats especially for me (they were just in England). It made me miss England...They live on the 34th floor in Manhattan and the view from their apartment is simply amazing. I spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the view even though it was an overcast day and not very clear. Here is the view:

 

I still don't have a plan of what I will do. If I pass the test I need to go back to Palestine to get a work visa (I can only get it there). If I fail, I am going to stay for a couple of months to look for work. I cancelled my return home ticket. I am going to visit my brother in Ohio this weekend. After that, I have no clue...This week I should find out what my plan is and I will let you know.

On Friday I got to go to the New York Temple. It is strange because most temples have large areas around them full of trees and flowers. This one is right down town, but it is at least convenient to get to. Despite the busy streets outside you could not hear anything from inside. It was so peaceful and beautiful inside. I love the temple.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are getting wined and dined, and given the royal treatment by many who love you, which you deserve after all you've been through! Our family is praying you do well on your interview tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying here for you, too, for it to all come out for the best whatever the best may be. I love that you got to go to the Temple and to see people who love you dearly. I so hope you get to stay.

    And thank you for the heads-up on your Lincoln Center talk--I will go tell my sister Carolyn who lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to live in manhattan. In Washington heights. I loved my ward up there. So many amazing people. Hope you get the job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am excited to see how this leap of faith turns out! You have a lot of faith and courage! I hope you have time to keep posting.

    ReplyDelete