Sunday, October 12, 2014

Life--Our Olive Press

I have been in Utah about a week. The weather has been perfect. I love the mountains here and the fall colors of the trees. I am so grateful to be here. Despite the convenience of life here I feel insecure. Unsure of what the future brings. We are told that we are to step into the darkness putting our hand in the hand of the Lord and move forward trusting that the light will follow and light up to show us the way.  I am trying hard to move forward and trust that everything will be alright. Heavenly Father has never left me alone and I know He never will. Even during the hard days when I felt so alone and felt I was in so much despair and darkness, He was there...and when the time was right, the light came. 

It is so easy for each of us to get discouraged and think that we are weak and not capable of accomplishing anything.  But, I know that each of us is of divine worth and we can do much.

My mother is picking the olives off the trees without my help this year. Every year I do a lot of work picking olives off the tree, cleaning olives and taking them to the olive press. I often end up with many scratches on my arms because I am always reaching out between branches, climbing the trees to pick all the olives.  I often get comments like: "did your cat attack you?" 

My kind sister Suhair is helping my mother this year (putting away all the things she has to do).  Thank you Suhair for doing my job.  I love olive oil, the pure oil that you get from your hard work of picking olives and doing what it takes. Olives are like us, we have to go through a certain process to become pure...We too are chosen (picked), cleaned, and pressed (with trials and difficulties)... Because of this process we become more worthy to stand before Him who is the purest of all, even our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.



The place where Christ suffered (Gethsemane which means olive press in Hebrew) shows that even the savior himself had to go through that process. Everyone does! Life was never meant to be easy, we would not be here if it was. We would not learn anything.


I have been looking for cars all week. The cars that seem nice in pictures on a website are usually not that great once you look at them. Tony was so kind and took me all over the area looking at cars. We finally found a nice car, a 2006 Toyota Solara. But, it was too expensive. We tried to get the guy to reduce the price, but he would not, well he went down 300 dollars only. We kept on looking for other cars, but none seemed to match that one. Then the guy called us because we had forgotten Tony's license there. Right then I decided I should just get that car. I was tired of looking and did not want to do this anymore.

The back of the car had some dents and scratches. I got it fixed and got the car registered. I ended up with a cool license plate (Yay). I had to first prove I was a Utah resident and that was a story in itself. Anyhow, I finally got it done and even got insurance for the car.  I thought it would be easy to get a Utah license...it was not. I had to get my fingerprints taken (you know I am a Palestinian). Then they said they can't give me a Utah license as I am not here permanently. They said they would give me a temporary one.  Then they asked for my Palestinian license (that is in Arabic and Hebrew only, really? what good will that do?). They kept going back and forth, once telling me I don't need to take a test (as I had a license in the past), but then at the end insisting I needed to take a test. It was such a painful process. So, I took my written test and will soon take my driving test. (I hope I don't fail...when you have been driving for so long, you forget to pay attention to the rules).  Oh and they said the next available date to take the test is Dec 1st! Seriously?? Luckily we think we found a way around that...I hope that they end up giving me a normal license after all this mess. It better not be temporary, or I'll die.  I'll let you all know.

I got a nice phone thanks to my brother Maher...and I got a phone plan. It is so nice to have a cell phone and internet wherever I go now. I feel so much better! We have become so dependent on these small devices! If any of my Utah friends want to get a hold of me, email me and I will give you my number.

I am still trying to settle in, still working on the license, trying to do some shopping (I didn't bring much stuff)...I just got my car yesterday, so I can finally get things done...yay...

Anyway, it is getting late...I better go to sleep. Goodnight everyone.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment