Monday, November 24, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving!

I guess everyone is writing about the same topic this week, but I have been very negative this past week and this is really for me as I need to show some gratitude for a change.

I had a busy week (aren't they all busy?)...I had a phone interview, yes, I have been applying for jobs for the past 2 months and this is the first phone interview I had. It was eye-opening really. I didn't get the job, but I was able to get feedback from my friend who works at that company. He gave me some strange reasons as to why I didn't get the job. (he could have said you did horrible in the interview, and I would have been ok with that, but he didn't.) So, one reason, he said, is that they didn't recognize two of the universities I attended so did not think my education was valid.

I have come to realize just how many positions I get excluded from just because of my name, background, and visa situation. It was very discouraging, but I am not giving up and will continue to try until the day I leave to go home. There has to be something out there for me.

I am going to see some family over Christmas and I am thinking I may go home after that. Or may go to NY and take a temporary post for 3 months and see where that takes me.  However, I still believe that I am here for a reason and something may come up before the end of December.

I have been amazed at how many people love me and care about me and are praying for me. I go to a class in the morning every day (Accelerated job search class). There are amazing people there who have been so kind and helpful.  I was talking to a member of our class and telling him about my discouraging situation. This person is always positive and cheerful, so I thought he had no problems. He told me that he had to find a job by the end of November or he will lose his house. He also told me that he found out that week that one of his close relatives has 1 week left to live. I was shocked. If he can be positive and strong despite what he's going through, so can I. I felt so bad for complaining afterwards. At least I have enough money to last me a few months. I have a place to live and my family is well.

I gave a fireside yesterday about peace. It was very good and many people came. I was especially glad that Heavenly Father heard my prayer and I did not have to drive up to Sandy in the snow. I can't drive in the snow as I have come to learn yesterday morning. It was snowing badly in the morning in Lehi and Sandy, but later in the afternoon it cleared up and roads were clear.

Someone left their purse at the fireside. We had to dig through the purse to find a number to call and could not find anything. We finally found an old business card.  We called the number and we got no answer. I went home and was talking to my friend on Facebook and happened to notice that her maiden name was the same as that lady's name who had left the purse.  I asked her about her mother's first name, and it turns out that it was my friend's mother who had left the purse.  It is a small world!!

There was an Israeli man in the fireside and he raised his hand to ask a question. When he said he was an Israeli, I thought he may have been offended by what I said and expected a critical comment. But, it was the opposite. He was such a sweet man. He had converted to the church and he talked about love and how it is the solution to all the conflict. He even gave me a Christmas card (don't know how he had it on him right there) and a hug. Very kind person. He asked me what he thought the solution was and I said to bring down the separation wall...but as that will never happen I believe the solution is to bring down our walls. If both people can see the other side with different eyes and love them then we can move forward.

I had two special experiences yesterday. I will share one only here.
I went to my friend's ward in the morning to attend church with her as her whole family was speaking in church. They all sat up on the stand and I sat in one of the rows in the chapel.

After the meeting was over the person sitting next to me turned to me and said: 'What is your name?' After telling her my name she started to cry. She said that she had never met me or seen my picture but she knew who I was because as she looked at me, the spirit told her 'you know this person'. She said she wrote about me in her book! And said she was glad to meet me. Her book is called "I can do hard things with God." It is coming out in February. Can't wait to read it....

The weather is nice today. It has actually not been that cold (at least not as cold as I remember Utah to be). It did rain a lot on Saturday. I went to an event where someone was speaking about an organization called Think Unlimited. I was impressed to say the least. They are doing a wonderful job with the young generation in Jordan. I encouraged him to come and do similar things in Palestine. I hope they will because they are really teaching people how to think and how to be creative.

Many are celebrating thanksgiving this week. I love thanksgiving and not just because of the food (although it is Awesome!), but also because it brings families and friends together. I had many invitations, and I wish I could go to all of them. I guess I will just have to choose 2 out of them.  (not at the same day!) Thank you to all the kind people who thought of me and invited me over. You are all very kind. I'll take a rain check and join you next year =)

Anyway, before I go, I wanted to tell you all what I am grateful for:

1. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who cares about me and loves me and who knows the details of my life and is interested in those small details.

2. I am grateful for my savior, Jesus Christ, the prince of peace. It is through Him that I found peace in my life. Amidst conflict, gunshots and trials I was able to find peace.

3. I am grateful for a wonderful family who loves me and worries about me.

4. I am grateful for the gospel. The knowledge I have of the plan of salvation and because I actually know the formula of happiness. I know people seek happiness and joy and never find them. But the formula is very simply, Follow Christ.

5. I am grateful for the amazing people in Utah who love me, pray for me, and do their best to help me. I can't thank you all enough. I feel very blessed and honored to know all of you. And if you all think I am wonderful (and I know many of you do), then it is because I know wonderful people like you and learn from them.

6. I am grateful for sunshine...for pretty sunsets...for a warm house...for hot water...for having water...for having electricity....
I am still not grateful for snow, but I will get there, I promise.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Adding my prayers to everyone else's yet again, hoping for that job, while I am laughing at that last part about the snow! Living in California, and having lived north of Boston previous to that, I so understand.

    ReplyDelete