Monday, December 1, 2014

Hope

I must say I have nothing exciting to report. My family keeps asking me, "so did you find someone to marry? Did you find a job?" Sadly no and no...not yet.

But, I must say I had a good week. A week that somehow provided me with some hope. I don't know why I have more hope, but I do. Part of the reason is that I feel that somehow things will work out. And another part is that I have so many people praying for me and helping me, for which I am eternally grateful.

I am focusing still on applying to teaching positions and most of those start next fall. So, I really doubt I will find work sooner than that except by some miracle (and I still believe in miracles). I most likely will go to NY and take a temporary post with the United Nations for 3 months. But, I will go home in January so I can obtain the G-4 Visa. In case you were wondering, the UN and other international organizations can hire who they want, when they want. They don't have to wait and go through the painful visa process others have to do to hire a non-US citizen.

I just met someone that goes to church with me who has been in the US looking for work for 8 years! Her whole family is here, but she has not been able to obtain US citizenship (it takes about 7 years for her family to sponsor her), so she is trying to apply for jobs and find something in order to speed up the process. She goes back and forth to her country to renew her tourist visa. Now, I am not going to be here 8 years looking for work. That is not an option for me. Ever surviving until October without work is going to be a bit hard for me.

Thanksgiving was great. I went on Wednesday to a thanksgiving dinner with my friend Jennifer and her in-laws. The food was great and they are an amazing family. They were so sweet. My friend is 6-months pregnant and during the dinner she said she would name her daughter after me (the middle name).  I was honored to hear that.

On Thursday I went to dinner at my friend Emily's house. Again great food and even got to take left overs home. I have been eating those for the last two days. I think I am about done with thanksgiving food for the next month or two at least. But, I probably did put some weight on this past week.

My roommate's parents are here visiting from Canada. They are very nice and it was great to meet them. Actually they said it is not cold where they are from, near Vancouver. So, maybe I should look for jobs in Canada (?)

I have been trying to work on my book as much as I can because I know that if I get a job and start working I won't have time to do it. It is actually coming along pretty good. I have decided to put a theme to each chapter and I think it is going to work very well. For those of you who didn't know that I am writing a book, this is my biography, but it is not formatted as a biography. You'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Christmas is close and many here have put up Christmas decorations. This always makes me homesick. There is really nothing like Christmas in Bethlehem and not only because my family is there. Everything about Christmas reminds me of home. The hymn "Oh little town of Bethlehem" makes me cry. I will try and be home by January 7th to celebrate Christmas with my family, but I don't know if that will happen. I will see...


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful thing for your friend to do! And what a lucky baby, to be blessed with such a name when she gets here.

    My prayers continue re the job and please hurry on that book, I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete