Monday, December 8, 2014

Thankful for a Savior - Part1

I am going to write some blog posts focused on the Savior this month. I will still put up some of my news and what I am doing, but my posts will be focused on Him and His mission.

We had our Ward Christmas party yesterday. We had about 100 people show up from the church. It was really nice. they had it in the Springhaven lodge and I was impressed at how beautiful it was. The Christmas trees and the setting in each room was just so peaceful and nice. We had a great dinner and then a nice program afterwards.

My roommate has her family over this weekend. It has been nice to see people around although it does make me home sick for my family. I have been trying to feel that Christmas is approaching and so far I have not been successful. People here have so many lights put up and it is just beautiful. But, there is nothing like being in Bethlehem for Christmas.  I missed the lighting of the tree in Manger Square and will miss all the celebrations there.


 I am grateful at this time of year for the many people who were put in my path. I learned so much from each of them and have been served by all of them. I don't know where my life would be without the help of those people. I think that I have learned that when you serve others, you get served, but not necessarily the same people!

I also am grateful for all that Heavenly Father has done for me. I have seen so many miracles in my life. I can't even begin to count the miracles and blessings He has given me.  As discouraged as I may get with my job search, I know Heavenly Father's has a plan for me. I think He is guiding me in all I do. I know there was a reason for me to be in Utah this short time and there is probably a reason for me to be in New York for a short time. I don't know what the reasons are, but I know He does.

When I lived in Zababdeh I had a neighbor who was a shepherd. Every morning he would walk his sheep by my house and take them to the fields. One day, the shepherd forgot something at home and went back to get it. He left the sheep on the street by my house.  The sheep kept waiting for their shepherd to get back. They waited right where he left them. There was a green field with long green grass on the side of the road only feet from where the sheep were, but they didn't go eat there and patiently waited for their shepherd. Maybe they trusted that the place their Shepherd was taking them to had better grass.

Our Shepherd, our Savior Jesus Christ, will also always lead us to green fields. If we trust Him and follow Him, He will always lead us to a better life. We will always find what we need and find joy along the way. This is a dark world, and there will be many fields that may look green, and many things that may seem attractive, but we simply have to follow the true shepherd and He will not lead us astray. 

The Savior is the true light in this dark world. He lights the way and we need to keep our eyes focused on Him.  He is the reason we put up Christmas lights...He says: "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." (John 8: 12)


May we remember that the lights we see during Christmas represent our true light, Jesus Christ. As we follow Him we can allow His light to reflect through us and we can guide others to Him.  Just as the star guided the Wise men to Jesus, our light and example can lead others to Jesus as well. May we be a light to others as we follow the true light, even Jesus Christ.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Loved this. Thank you so much. When you share your faith in the Savior it feels almost tangible to me. I think maybe it is a gift of the spirit you have been blessed with to share a powerful witness of Him?

    ReplyDelete