Monday, January 12, 2015

Happiness

I gave a fireside yesterday. It had a good turn out mostly people from my ward. I love my ward, there are amazing people there who have very strong testimonies. I learn so much from them every Sunday. I am giving another fireside on the 25th.  I'll post the address later in case someone you know may want to go.

Palestine had some snow last week. Everyone there gets so excited to see the snow and mostly everything shuts down. This is because it is very hilly and they are not equipped to deal with the snow. This is mostly what makes the snow fun, knowing you don't have to go to school or work. Here the snow is mostly gone. It has been warm relatively. I guess it was just cold mainly the week when Rana and Samar were here. Today it is a bit rainy, but still not as cold. This is a picture from last week. now the snow is mostly gone.


I had no desire to look for work the past week. But, I made myself do some networking. I will need to move on next month. My tourist visa expires in March and I have to find something before then. So, I basically have one month left and need to find a job within that time. I feel that somehow things will work out. I got discouraged for a while, but them came to realize something that has helped me. I realized that the Savior has all wisdom and power. He created the world, he can control the elements (calmed the sea, helped his disciples catch fish, fed the 5000).  And the good news is, He's on my side. I know that He will help me find work or work something out.  If it does not work out for me to stay here, then my mother will be happy at least. She is counting the days for me to return.

I started taking a class at UVU about personal development. It is great and is helping a lot except for the fact that I have to sit for 6 hours every week. 
Here is a quote from class: 
"Happiness does not depend on outward conditions. It depends on inner conditions.  It isn't what we have, who we are, or what we are doing that makes us happy or unhappy.  It's what we think about it.  For example, two people may be in the same place, doing the same thing, and yet one may be miserable and the other happy. Why? Because of a different mental attitude." -Dale Carnegie

I think a lot of times we measure our happiness by circumstances. What kind of job we have, where we live, the amount of money we have...but happiness, joy and peace should be independent of our situation. These are internal feelings that we can control.  I find that as I serve others and focus on improving myself I find joy regardless of my situation.

I decided I needed to color my hair the other day. So, I went and had it done, paying a lot of money. It seems like the color won't last though and looks like they did a bad job. I also got my hair cut. I asked for a trim, and asked her to cut the top part (not my bangs). But, she basically shaved my bangs. Now I look like a kid who took the scissors and cut their own hair. It is not even also and looks really strange. Oh well, at least I won't have to cut my bangs for a while. I considered wearing a wig, but I guess I will just live with it and hope it grows fast.

I had the chance to see some old friends at the MTC this week. They are going on missions (again). Amazing couples, and I know they will make a difference wherever they are going. Being at the MTC is great. I got to point to the map I never got to point to when I went on my mission. Because I never got to go to the MTC when I went on my mission. Sorry the picture with the Allens and Halversons is fuzzy (that's what you get when you have the security guy take the photo).









1 comment:

  1. My sister in law, Stephanie Sandoval, does hair at Relik Salon in Orem. You should check her out, she does good work. :) I hope you're able to find work and stay here!! Our lives are richer for having you in them! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete