Monday, August 10, 2015

Enjoying the holiday

It has been a fun week. I am in Utah now and heading to Ohio tomorrow to visit family there.

Last week I went on a trip to Lagoon (amusement park) with my friend Emily and her kids. It was a fun day, we could not have asked for better weather.  The rides were mostly great, except we did not get to ride on the new roller coaster (the lines were too long). My favorite one was Wicked, which is a roller coaster, but has a part which goes straight up then down...


Everyone got on this ride below except me...they all got soaked! I was not willing to do that!
 


Amanda talked me into getting on this ride. They basically pull you up so high then release you and you swing back and forth. We waited for 2 hours in line, but it was TOTALLY worth it.  I'm glad Amanda was brave enough to pull the cord to make us fall because I would have never had the guts to do it!
 



And we survived....here we are after we were done!
 



My mission president in England came back home after serving for 3 years. His homecoming was this weekend in St. George. I considered not going just because I didn't want to sit for 5 hours in a car each way...but, I am glad I went. It was so much fun. We stopped A LOT on the way down and eat great ice cream (thank you Horsleys)  and visited fun places. 

Pres. Millar's talk made me cry, I missed hearing him speak. He starts by saying "I touched the hearts of many of you..." and I am thinking why he is saying that...then he says "I literally touched your hearts", he's a heart surgeon and performed many heart surgeries on some of those present...ha ha...I love Pres. Millar.

We went over to his house after church and I was blown away by how beautiful it was!!! This pond is in his entrance way, and the water fall and stream are in his back yard. He has glass windows all over with the amazing view below.






 We stopped at the Shakespeare festival on the way which the university down there has each year.


I spent the night at my friend Sharon's house in St. George. I know Sharon from when her and her husband were in Jerusalem years ago. It was nice to visit with them and spend time with them. She took me on a tour of the amazing mountains around the area....
 





On the way back we stopped at Enterprise to visit Br. and Sister Terry. I did not want to leave their house...The fresh air outside and the fresh vegetables from the garden were a taste of heaven. Reminded me so much of home...The fresh corn from their garden was the best corn I ever had in my life! Thank you Terrys.
 

It is these simple things in life that make life worth living..great friends, fresh air, nature, freshly grown vegetables and fruits. I am so blessed to know these amazing people and to have had the opportunity to serve with them in England.

I have been staying with Blaine and Linda here in Utah. Blaine was my branch president in Bethlehem. He fell a while ago and broke his pelvis. I admire him keeping positive during this difficult time. They were both so sweet to host me for 10 days.

I am looking forward to seeing my brothers tomorrow. I will be traveling all night, so it will be a looong night...Hopefully I can sleep on the plane.

I gave a fireside last week...the audience was composed of older people and I thought they would not come, or not be interested in politics. But, they came and asked really good questions. I ended up answering so many questions that it took 2 hours for us to finally end.  
One of the people there gave me something he wrote and asked me to read it...I must say it was interesting. I won't mention it all here. But, his thought was that as we move towards the light (like a lit room in a dark house) it is easier to see where we are going. But, if we turn around and move away from the light it becomes hard to see.
Christ is the light of the world and as we walk towards Him, it is easier for us to see the purpose of life and understand why thing happen and find joy. If we walk away from Christ, we are basically stumbling in the darkness. He stands with open arms bidding us all to come to Him who is the source of light, peace and joy.  

4 comments:

  1. You are really brave to go on that jump! So glad you are seeing more of Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vacation sounds so fun. We can't believe how crazy you are to go on those rides. My husband likes them too. I would have a heart attack for sure. It's nice you got to see President and Sister Millar and all those wonderful people. Sending our love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vacation sounds so fun. We can't believe how crazy you are to go on those rides. My husband likes them too. I would have a heart attack for sure. It's nice you got to see President and Sister Millar and all those wonderful people. Sending our love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vacation sounds so fun. We can't believe how crazy you are to go on those rides. My husband likes them too. I would have a heart attack for sure. It's nice you got to see President and Sister Millar and all those wonderful people. Sending our love!

    ReplyDelete