Sunday, September 13, 2015

In the Hands of the Potter

I have been frantically trying to get everything ready before classes start tomorrow. I don't feel ready, but I guess it will have to do. The training we did these past few days has been very helpful. I have changed much in my classes and modified many things. Hopefully this semester will go well. I am looking forward to meeting my new students.

It has been great being in the Math department, my office is smaller than my old office, but I already feel closer to the other teachers and am getting to know them better. I'm grateful to be here.

I am concerned about grading this semester because I have 50 students in each class and will have to grade 5 tests for each section. I am not sure how that will go. I need to plan on doing some multiple choice I guess just to make grading faster. 

I bought a mattress, but it was worse than the old one. And I thought that I sold the old one, but the guy turned out to be a crook. He told me he'll send me a check for it, and he did, but the check was fake. The police was involved and even took the envelope to look for fingerprints. I learned that when someone offers to buy something from you and offers to pay you more than you had asked then you should question yourself as to 'why they would do such a thing?' So, now I have two mattresses...The store was nice enough to refund the money for the one I just bought, but they won't take it back. So, it is just leaning on my wall for now (waiting for visitors to use it, so who wants to come visit?)

I sold my couch, and still waiting for the new living room set. I am not sure how I will get it because they only deliver from 8-5 when I am on campus. Hopefully we can work something out because I am tired of not having a couch.

I went to institute for the first time on Thursday and it was a good lesson. The strangest thing happened though. For a moment, (and this had nothing to do with the lesson) I got a glimpse of who I could become. I won't share much detail here, but it was an amazing experience. It really shocked me and made me want to live my life so that I am worthy to be that person. I am not sure if I ever will become that person, but I think Heavenly Father just wanted to show me that I had the potential. I am grateful for that because often times I feel weak, lacking of ability and intelligence.
The Lord says:
"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." (Ether 12: 27)

I hope that we all can ponder so we can see who Heavenly Father wants us to be. If we do, then our desire to be better will increase so we can be that person.  When I read the book "In the hands of the Potter" by my friend Camille Fronk, it completely changed my life. The Lord is the potter and if we allow Him into our lives, and submit our will to Him, He will make a beautiful vessel out of us. We just need to trust Him and put our lives in His hands.




I have been trying to do just that: submit to His will. I am trying to get a permanent position here at BYU-I and trying to get citizenship so I can stay in the US, but I have decided to do my best and then just not worry about it. If I am meant to stay here, Heavenly Father will make it happen. My friend who is a lawyer explained to me how complicated getting a green card is, and if BYU was to do that for me they would have to offer me a permanent position, and also prove they were not able to find anyone with the same qualifications (which would  be really hard). So, I am just going to apply for the positions and leave it in the Lord's hands.

I stand in amazement at the many blessings the Lord has given me so far. I would not be here without His help. I thank Him every day for the privilege of working at this great university and associating with the amazing faculty and employees we have here. Even if I am here only a short time, the experience has changed me and made me a better person.

These next few weeks will be very busy. I should be getting the general conference talks soon and I will be busy with translation. I am going to interpret a few talks for the Women's session on the 26th, so I will be driving down to Utah for one day. I am looking forward to translating those amazing talks, but also really worried that because of my teaching schedule that I won't have enough time to dedicate to translating. I'll do my best, that is all I can do I guess.    

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment