Sunday, October 25, 2015

Happy Halloween

This semester has been crazy. I have never been so busy. I am doing my best to keep up and do what I need to do, but it is hard.I just gave a test to my students and they did so badly. I am really concerned and am not sure what went wrong because they did so well in the first exam. I have two other exams this week and I really hope my students do well in those.  

My mother picked one of the olive trees we have. She went to the olive press today and made some of them into oil. My brother said he will help her with the other trees when he returns from his trip. I feel bad that I am not there to help my mom pick the olives. Every year it was mostly my job to pick all the olives and clean them. It is such hard work and it took me the whole day to pick half a tree sometimes...I would end up with aches and pains and scratches all over my arms. But, the olives that mom made were amazing! I miss those so much. The olives and oil we had afterwards were worth every effort. 

I  applied to two open positions at BYU-I in the Mathematics department. The position I applied to earlier was a long shot because they were looking for a pure Math major and it was not me. Sadly, I won't get an answer from them until April or May.  So, it will be a LONG wait...Well, I will at least know if they will call me for an interview by January.  The sad thing is that with the situation at home I am afraid of going back. I am almost sure I won't be granted a visa if I try to apply for one with the current situation. I may decide to just stay here for a while...Anyway, I guess once I know in April, I can think about it and decide.

There was a dance for Halloween yesterday, but I did not go. I don't like dancing and didn't feel like dressing up! I am not too fond of Halloween...although I do have my Palestinian dress. I could have gone as a Palestinian (Ha ha). I guess it does not work to get dressed up as yourself huh?
  

We had a fun Halloween activity the other day. We went on a scavenger hunt. My friend had us go find a list of things and take pictures with them to prove we found them. So, we hopped in the car and we were off. For 30 minutes we drove around Rexburg finding these things, white fence, slide, trash can, hay, red leaves, ... We broke a few rules as we made Greg pull over each time we spotted something and jumped out to take a picture. We felt it was an impossible task to get every item on the list in such a short time...but when we got back we realized there was a group that was done early and got everything on the list!! Frustrating! But, it was so much fun.

A couple that served with me in England were just called to serve with the mid single adults. Elder Anderson taught institute on Thursday and he did a great job. They asked me to teach institute for two weeks in a row (Nov 5 and 12th). It should be fun, but I have no idea how to organize my lesson and teach. Hopefully it will go well. 

My friend tells me that it always snows on Halloween here. The weather has been so nice and warm, but these past few days it started to get a bit cooler. I guess we will see if she is right. I still have not prepared for winter. I need to buy a jacket and some boots, but I have not found any. I may just get them online.

I have been so busy that I was starting to get so tired. I decided to do nothing yesterday. I just made maftool which I have craved in a while...and went shopping then just watched TV most of the day. It was hard to ignore everything that I had to do, but I needed a break.

It gets too depressing to see the hate and anger back home and to know those I love are suffering. All we can do is pray and hope things improve soon. The world around us seems to be falling apart. It probably won't be long before hardships will be seen everywhere. May we all have the strength and faith to withstand them.



 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'd totally go to your Institute class, if I didn't live 5 hours away, lol. I'm sure it will be AWESOME. Happy Halloween! And next time, go dancing!!!

    ReplyDelete