Sunday, February 28, 2016

Trip to Jackson

There are sometimes days when I get discouraged and wonder what I am doing here...But, Heavenly Father reminds me again and again that this is where I need to be at this time. 

I hope that somehow, somewhere I will make a difference in someone's life. But, maybe being here is so I can change my own life and become better. Our Ward conference today was about becoming and changing...I love this quote by Elder Oaks:

"Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts--what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts--what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances, and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become."






My cousin leaves to go back home in a few days. I have not been a great host and have not taken her to see anything exciting. Well, that is what you get when you come to Rexburg in the winter. Snow, snow and more snow. The weather is finally improving and most of the snow has melted now that she is ready to leave!

My colleague Danae told me she would be willing to drive us to Jackson so we can see it before my cousin leaves. The road to Jackson across the mountains can get pretty slippery in the snow, but we saw that the weather was supposed to be good on Saturday so we decided to venture and go.

The minute we entered Wyoming (literally right after this sign) it started to snow. 


It was not that cold, but having heavy snow when we arrived made us worry about being able to go on those mountain roads. We had a quick lunch and took a lot of pictures in Jackson and left. It is a cute little town with lots of touristy shops and places. 

The below arches are made of real antlers. Apparently moose shed their antlers every year and so people just collect them here and put them to use. The store we visited even made chandeliers from them. 





Never seen so many dead animals in one little store. It is kind of sad actually...too many heads on the wall. But, Danae told me that people kill those animals and eat them (well not the bears), so hopefully it was not just for fun.
 

So, the reason for our drive so we can see the mountains. It was so cloudy and snowy that we did not really see the mountains. We could see the hills ;-) They were really nice, but really the drive in the mountains made us all feel we were heading to the north pole. It was a pretty drive though. We hoped to see some animals...we caught a glimpse of some dear and saw an eagle eating a dead dear, but that was about it. We got to see a lot of dead animals though!
 

We stopped and took a picture of the largest potato in Idaho. Notice who is driving the truck ;-) I actually never thought that there could be a difference in how a potato would taste, but Idaho potatoes are simply better. I have had the best fries here, even those at fast food places!
 

Susan and Danae stopped in and got us a Huckleberry shake. Up until yesterday, I didn't know what a Huckleberry was. I had never seen one or tasted one. The shake was really good I must say! I also got some Huckleberry honey...It was so good! Looking forward to going to pick wild Huckleberries in the summer with Susan.

The mountain pass was bad on our way back. There were cars that were stuck unable to climb the hill because the roads were slippery. I am so glad Danae was willing to drive in her 4-wheel drive truck. We would have never made it there in my car! 

No comments:

Post a Comment