Sunday, June 5, 2016

Biking in Nature

With a few of my colleagues in the Math department, I went biking. I was really worried since I had not done much biking since I was a child. I remember those trips we took around my town of Beit Sahour on our bikes with my cousins. We would take snacks and felt we were going on a trip. I remember how much I loved the new bike I got as a child, a pink bike with a really comfortable seat and decorations. I learned how to ride it without the training wheels pretty fast and got so good at it. As I look back at my childhood I feel very lucky and blessed to have had a full childhood. I really enjoyed it to the fullest.

Biking for about 7 miles today after 40 years seemed like a lot, but thankfully it was all down hill. The scenery was beautiful and it was very peaceful. I must admit with my hip problem, I have come to realize that riding a bike is not a good option for me...but the pain was totally worth it and it was such a fun trip.  I would totally do this again if I can manage to have a pillow as my bike seat.

We had a wonderful lunch afterwards and had the best Huckleberry shake ever...

Sadly, or should I say fortunately we didn't get to see a bear anywhere. We took bear spray and were prepared, but we didn't see any bears. The only wild life we saw were a few chipmunks, birds, and butterflies. 
My friend Danae estimates that I would see a bear on average every 10 years if I continue to live in Idaho...So, I have a long wait. 

We are going to to Yellowstone next week though and hopefully we will see more animals as we will be there all day.  I am so grateful for the wonderful weather we have been having recently. I am going to enjoy it to the fullest (even if it means getting sun burned) before the winter comes. 

In Palestine, because of the occupation, we have limited areas where we can enjoy the beauty of nature. As the separation wall now surrounds Bethlehem, there are limited lands and areas to build and this is slowly taking away our open areas. The beautiful valleys and hills we used to play at when we were kids are now being covered with houses and buildings. The forest we used to to is now completely gone and an Israeli settlement stands in it's place. Nothing but white ugly buildings in the distance.

It is so nice to be in nature and enjoy the beauty around us. The river still reminds me of Alfashkha, my favorite childhood place where we swam and enjoyed the purity of the spring's water near the Dead Sea. 

Mark Nielson said: "We can draw three lessons from nature’s grandeur: first, God exists; second, God is powerful; and third, God loves us. One way we can feel a surety of the Creator’s existence is to observe His handiwork."
Alma taught, “All things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator” (Alma 30:44).

How grateful I am for nature and for all of God's creations. 
I post some pictures below to show you how pretty it was. 

Me and my rented bike..



 






 







All the Math department gang...




Should I jump??


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment