Sunday, December 18, 2016

Health Issues

Finals are over and I finished grading...Grateful for some multiple choice questions which  made my exams faster to grade. I just have one final exam left to grade and I will finish that tomorrow and hopefully submit the grades the same day. 

I had amazing students this semester and I am going to miss them.  Many actually all did better than I thought in their final exam which was surprising to me because my final exam scores are normally not good.

I have started preparing for next semester. Changing the calculus class set up took forever, but I think I am almost there. I have amazing TAs this semester and next semester, so I am all set. My TA took care of setting up my precalc class all by herself! 

So, it has been cold here and snowed all day on Friday. Yesterday it was -20 F and then when it warmed up it got up to -15 F (-26 Celsius). 

On Friday I woke up really dizzy and I could not even stand. I didn't make it to work and had to miss graduation. But, in a way that was a blessing because it snowed all day Friday and I would have had to clear my driveway then walk in the snow in a dress over to graduation. It would not have been fun. 

I thought my dizziness would go away on Saturday, but it didn't. It got a little better, but I was still dizzy...
I had to clear my driveway and go shopping as I had no food left. My friend Danae came to help me, because clearing my driveway is easy with my snowblower, but once I got to the end I didn't know what to do. The snow plow came and left a big pile of hard snow at the front of my driveway. My snow blower was not able to move that big pile. I tried it with a shovel, but I didn't know what to do with the snow and it was taking forever. I had to go inside every few minutes because when you stop feeling your face and fingers, that indicates a good time to stop. -20 degrees is not a temperature you want to be out in. We finally got it all cleared...and after defrosting inside for a few minutes I went shopping.

I had to hurry and get what I needed because I started feeling really dizzy and was holding onto the shopping cart so I don't fall. Gladly I made it to my car before passing out. I really felt I would faint, that is how bad I felt.

The roads were horrible, very icy. I realized that having 4-wheel drive does nothing for you when the roads are covered with a layer of ice. I almost had an accident when I turned a corner (going SUPER slow) but my car still started to slide to the left and almost hit the car right next to me. So, I think I need snow tires! 

I got to rest all day Saturday. I called a friend of mine who is a doctor and he told me to do this maneuver to get rid of my dizziness. It seemed to help the first time and I felt better, but this morning I feel dizzy again. I repeated the maneuver, but maybe I should repeat it again when I have an empty stomach. I got really nauseous.  

Another problem I am having is my hip. I have had issues with my hip for 3 years. I take medication and can't sleep on my right side because of it. On Friday, for some reason as I slept I seemed to do something to my left side and it was hurting me all night. So, I was not able to sleep because when I sleep on my back, my back hurts and when I sleep on my stomach my neck hurts and now I could no longer sleep on any side. 

I didn't sleep well last night either and I am soar all over because I was trying to sleep in strange positions so I don't put pressure on my hip, but it did not work. I am going to go see a doctor as soon as possible...I have to be able to sleep! Maybe if I can hook myself and sleep standing up if possible...ummm I wonder...

My home teacher suggests I buy a foam mattress, but I already bought 3 mattresses and none of the worked. I don't really want to invest in another one...and I have no room in my place left to put mattresses. I guess the good side is now I can have many guests come visit me at the same time!

I am looking forward to my trip to California/Utah/Las Vegas next week. I can't wait to have warmer weather. Although with the horrible weather we have been having I am worried about driving down to Utah. I will have to pick a day when the roads are good so I can drive down.

I guess the best part about Winter here is that I rarely feel cold. It is only when I walk from my car to the building; which is usually a matter of a few seconds. I am loving having a warm house throughout winter. I can turn on my fireplace even and get a toasty warm living room in a matter of minutes. I used to spend my winters under the covers in Palestine because even though the temperature was never too cold (in the 40s), it was cold inside and you never felt warm. 

It seems like my green card application is more complicated than I thought. I am starting to think it will be a miracle if this all works out...but I believe in Miracles and I am going to wait and see what happens.  I guess just the other day I was complaining that I had no trials and things were going well...

It seems like my health issues are going to be some of my challenges.  But, I am still grateful for all the blessings I have been given. They are too many to number...

2 comments:

  1. Sahar, I have had studded snow tires on my car for years (they go on in November and off again in April) and without them I would be terribly afraid to drive. They really make a difference in the way my car handles in the snow and ice and I would recommend that you get them on your car before you travel too far. Hope your dizziness goes away and also the pains in your hip and side. This seems like a lot for you to handle. Hoping for relief from your troubles.

    ReplyDelete