Sunday, May 21, 2017

Our Greatest Fear

It snowed here last week...strange you may say, but not for Rexburg. I learned to expect weather changes that were strange and fast. 
Yesterday I put some stuff on my lawn to kill the weeds, and it was not supposed to get any water on it. So, I applied it on a clear day no cloud in sight.  Shortly after that it started pouring.  So much for the money I wasted on that stuff.  

I have been addicted to a Turkish online show. It is very stupid and useless, but I can't quit watching. The good thing is that my Turkish has improved a lot. So, I justify it and call it useful. This past week I started using my Turkish to help Senior Missionaries learn Turkish. It has been so much fun. This one sister was so thrilled when I told her she does not have to say "soyluyorum" at the end of her testimony. She just could not say that word no matter how hard she tried. All this however is making me miss Turkey and want to go back. I miss the Turkish food and the sweet Turkish people.  I need to go back for a visit soon.

The church is now sending sister missionaries to Turkey. Nothing makes me happier than bringing the gospel to the good people of Turkey. I remember the many times I got asked the same question as I walked on the street with sister Ellett (a missionary). Talking to me they would say, "Why does she glow like that? tell us what she has?" I wished I could tell them that she had the light of Christ, the Holy Ghost made her glow and radiate.  But, at the time we were careful about sharing the gospel to strangers. We were even scared to invite anyone to church and worried about our safety because there were many anti-christian people around.

I still regret not sharing my testimony with that woman on the street who stopped me and said: "I don't normally talk to strangers, but I could not help but notice the light in your eyes." She told me how hard her life was and how alone she felt. Why didn't I tell her that she wasn't alone and that she was loved by a Father in Heaven? My Turkish was broken and not that great then...so, I just listened to her. 

Everyone will hear about the Savior one day...We had a missionary who spoke in church today. He said he left the church for a while and thought he was happy. But, when he came back he realized what happiness really is. He realized that it was the gospel that made him happy. He thought he would love to share that with others.

He was so excited to go on his mission, but said he was scared because he does not have the courage to talk to strangers. Yet He said the Savior will make his weaknesses become strengths. He said he had the answers to questions many people ask...He would be selfish not to share what he had with others.

My colleague Bonnie put this quote on her board, and I had never heard it before, so I thought I would share it with everyone...

"It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won't feel insecure around you.
We were born to make manifest the glory of
God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others."

—Marianne Williamson


 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Sahar. I know our Heavenly Father wants us to feel peace, not fearfulness. And some part of that is, our chosing to not feel fear, by our choosing the Savior's way, the perfect pathway of peace.

    ReplyDelete