Sunday, August 6, 2017

and the Baltimore adventure continues...


I got back from Baltimore on Thursday/Friday. My laptop came back to life...I'm grateful for the internet and instructions on how to bring a dead laptop back to life. I really thought I would lose all my documents, but luckily I didn't...


We had a great time in Baltimore, although I must say that I am glad to be back home. The hotel I stayed at was horrible. My brother fell on their uneven steps/pavement and badly hurt his hand.  My charging cable even got stolen from my room the last day and all they could say was 'sorry'.  I am glad 2 sigma was giving out free charging cables at the conference and I happened to grab one. My phone was completely dead and needed to be charged. I got a lot of free stuff, two t-shirts, flashlights, bags, notebooks...but honestly did not expect to get the Pillsbury dough-boy at the conference. Rida won a $150 gift certificate. I hoped to win the apple watch, but I guess it was not meant to be.
(with my brother Maher and nephew Peter)
 

We didn't go to the baseball game, but Ryan and Craig went. The team apparently won even though it rarely does.


We got free tickets to the aquarium. It was fun, but I was so tired at the end. They had a rain forest and some tropical areas and it was really nice. We got to see a silly dolphin show too. They kept scaring us from sitting in the 'splash zone' and I was thinking I would get wet...nothing...


The Jelly fish were the most interesting.  They even had a place where you can touch sea creatures (and jelly fish). The place was meant for kids I believe, but it was fun to touch them and pet them (ha ha).


Still not sure how the divers were swimming and feeding the fish with the sharks. But, I guess not all sharks are deadly...


This snake looked so relaxed. Even though I don't know quite how he got to this position.


 This huge turtle was missing a leg...but he seemed to enjoy swimming around...

We took a boat to Fort McHenry which is where the battle of 1812 happened and later was recognized for the place where the 'Star Spangled Banner' song was written which later became the US national anthem. I had to think for a minute about war because I really just don't get it. I don't know how people rejoice about victory and how they go fight and kill each other. War is something foreign to me. But, seeing the US flag high, which was the original flag then and had 15 stars only, helped me start to relate. 



It started to rain right as we got on the boat. It was interesting to see that much rain while we were on the water. We were lucky though as it stopped when we got off. We have come to realize that there is no such thing as light rain in Baltimore. When it rains, it pours.
 The best part of any trip to a big city is the food. Craig's rule, which I have adopted is to not eat anything you can find in Rexburg. We had lots of seafood, which was amazing. Baba gump restaurant and other places. Then we had different foods...
This is an Afghani restaurant where my brother Maher got us a good deal on a meal. Everything in Baltimore was expensive, so a cheap meal was like $20 or so. 

   
Craig dared Maher to buy a rose for $1 and he went and bargained with the guy and came back with a rose for Rida, who said this is the first time she gets a flower from Maher. (here is the rose)
 

 We also found a place which sells shawirma and falafel. It was actually good falafel which surprised me.






The last day, right before heading to the airport we went to the art museum. That last day was the longest day I have ever had because I got up, went to the conference, then we walked quite a while in the heat to get to the museum. It was a nice museum, but we didn't get to see much of and had to run to catch our flight.



 
I loved this quote by  Martin Luther at the museum which says: "This life is not health but healing, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. This is not the end, but it is the road."


We made our flight, but had to sit on the plane for an hour because there was a thunder storm going on...we missed our connecting flight from SLC and were not sure what to do. We could rent a car and drive, but who would want to drive after such a long day (we would make it to SLC at 9 pm or so). 
We got there, and decided to run to the gate hoping our flight was magically delayed, but it was not. We decided to go to Pocatello and switched our flight to that one. We still had an hour and a half from there to Idaho falls where we left our car. We got to Pocatello hoping we would rent a car and drive to Idaho Falls, but the rental car agencies were closed when we get there and there were no cars available. This nice lady we met offered us a ride. She was heading to Idaho Falls too, so it worked out perfectly. I got home at 1:30 am (3:30 am Baltimore time). I still had to unpack...I was so tired...

I am heading to Utah on Tuesday to catch a flight to Seattle and then to Oregon. I still have not finished setting up my classes for fall and it feels like the vacation will be over when I return. Time sure flies when you are having fun!

5 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your adventures! Glad you are having some summertime fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live close to Baltimore! I loved seeing your adventures in the city. I can relate to feeling unsafe there, but it's so beautiful and rich with culture that it always seems to pull me back in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sahar,
    I haven't been following your blog for a long time. So sorry. It sounds like you've had a great summer and been traveling lots. John and I are headed back to Jerusalem to serve as the music couple again. We feel blessed that we met you there the first time around. Keep up your great work! Love, Jan Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sahar, It was fun to read of your adventures! So happy you are traveling and enjoying your work and growing in all you do. My life is busy and fruitful with my large family and I will be turning 80 in Oct. It is hard to believe how time flies, but it doesn't matter as long as we are seeking to do the will of our Heavenly Father and blessing the lives of others. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sahar, It was fun to read of your adventures! So happy you are traveling and enjoying your work and growing in all you do. My life is busy and fruitful with my large family and I will be turning 80 in Oct. It is hard to believe how time flies, but it doesn't matter as long as we are seeking to do the will of our Heavenly Father and blessing the lives of others. Thanks for sharing your experiences! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete